Purpose of the Altar Server
To assist the priest/presider during the Mass/Liturgy
- Be willing to serve about once a month and rotate through all the Sunday Masses/Liturgies.
- Arrive about 15 minutes before Mass/Liturgy to put on alb and agree to various assignments.
- Help clean up for about ten minutes after Mass/Liturgy.
- Willing to be flexible during special masses/liturgies, and special requests from the priest/presider.
Requirements and Skills Needed
- Youth who have entered the fifth grade or older.
- Altar servers are always reverent and prayerful, and are encouraged to sing!
Amount of Time Required
Altar servers should plan on spending 90 minutes each time they serve.
When Ministry is Performed
Altar servers serve approximately once a month. Each server is assigned to a team and the teams rotate through the Sunday Mass schedule (which includes the Saturday, 5:00 p.m. Mass).
Scheduled services are for our Sunday liturgies. However, students at Holy Family School serve at the 8am daily Mass.
Some altar servers with additional training serve at funerals, weddings and other special liturgies.
A four month schedule is e-mailed three times a year. Weekly emails remind servers of their assignments. The Worship Office makes a special effort to schedule family members to serve together.
Length of Commitment
One year or several years.
Training for Altar Servers are two initial 60 minute training sessions. Other sessions may be held throughout the year, generally held Sunday afternoons or at the availability of the coordinator.
Frank Ponnet, Director of Worship
To express your interest in becoming an Altar Server, please complete and submit the Altar Server Volunteer Form 2011 .