The mission of the Holy Family Lector Ministry is to rouse the faith of the assembly and inspire them to discipleship by proclaiming the Word of the Lord with clarity and conviction.
About the Lector Ministry
The Lector Ministry makes a truly satisfying and meaningful contribution to Eucharistic celebrations at Holy Family.
St. Benedict says in his Rule: “They should not presume to read who by mere chance take up the book . . . Only those are to discharge these duties who can do so to the edification of the hearers.” When one answers the call to be a minister of the word, one enters a deeper relationship with the word of God as revealed in sacred scriptures. The lector takes upon themselves the duty and privilege of bringing the printed word to life—making it flesh. The ministry as a lector gives voice to God’s healing and challenging words as it goes forth irrevocably to the ends of the earth, achieving the purpose for which God sent it. In a very real sense, the lector becomes a prophet—one who speaks for God.
A lector is expected to attend coaching sessions, pre-read and prepare reading(s), learn the proper pronunciation of unfamiliar words, and read at a pace that encourages thoughtful reflection of the Word and it’s meaning as it relates to our contemporary lives.
What It Takes To Be a Lector
The role of a lector is to proclaim the Word to the people of God. It is a ministry in which we are privileged to participate.It calls for sacrifice—an investment in time and energy to effectively communicate the sacred scriptures to the people of Holy Family. By committing to be a lector at our parish, you commit to:
- Attend all scheduled meetings and retreats;
- Attend coaching sessions;
- Continue to work to improve your lectoring skills;
- Prayerfully prepare your readings to ensure effective presentation;
- Arrive at Mass 15 minutes beforehand;
- Dress appropriately;
- Fully participate in the spiritual life of Holy Family
Resources for Lectors
- Lector Guidelines
- Coaching: Monthly sessions are Monday evenings in the church, unless otherwise stated, from 7:30 – 9:00 pm – Coaching dates 2019
- Sunday Readings: (USCCB website)
- Prayers of the Faithful: 15th Sun in Ord Time 7-14-19
- Biblical Pronunciations: Resource Guide
- Dress Code: Dress Code For Liturgical Ministers
If you’re interested in joining the Lector Ministry, please contact:
Alisa De Hoyos at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 909.518.2257