Friends Who Care provides comfort and hospitality, while
bringing loved ones together in a time of loss and re-birth.
About Friends Who Care
The Friends Who Care ministry was formed in 1990 by a group
of caring individuals, one of whom had just experienced the loss of a beloved
family member. This dedicated group assists in providing receptions for
families who have experienced the death of a loved one. The reception takes
place after a funeral or memorial service. The aim is to provide solidarity and
comfort at a difficult time.
We are always looking for more people interested in serving
in the Friends Who Care ministry. Please consider offering your time and
abilities in this very important Holy Family ministry. See the complete
description of this volunteer opportunity.
Purpose of Position
Provide general hospitality at receptions (held in the Parish Hall or St. Joseph Center) after a funeral or memorial service. This ministry is open to men and women.
- Arrive in advance of the reception to arrange food and prepare beverages; arrange plates, cups and serving utensils
- Place food attractively on serving tables at the appropriate time
- Greet guests as they arrive
- Replenish serving platters and supplies as needed during reception
- Pour beverages
- Assist in clean-up after the reception
- Assure an atmosphere of comfort and hospitality
- Good interpersonal skills
- Comfortable meeting and greeting people
- A skill for table decorations would be most welcome, but not essential
Amount of Time Required
Generally a 2-3 hour shift.
When Ministry is Performed
Weekdays, during the daytime. Funerals take place in the morning or afternoon. Hours vary and there is very little lead time since we do not know when a funeral or memorial service will take place.
What to Wear
Dress in comfortable clothing, but in a manner appropriate for the occasion. Comfortable shoes.
Length of Commitment
As long as you wish.
On the job; required tasks are not technically difficult.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Available for a 2-3 hours shift between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. and on fairly short notice; volunteers will be notified 2-4 days before a reception.
There are no meetings for this ministry.
Carrie-Ann Lue Sue
Director of Community Services